Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Recycle Gently:)














Today was trash day dearest readers.  I am finding that there is less and less to put out for Big O Recycling.  I am getting a little more creative with these signs as you can see.  I added plastic to the mix...well...because I am actually quite fond of cutting up credit cards and loyalty cards.  My landlord recycles, and she took some wooden blue letters off of a homemade sign from way back when she got it for a marriage gift.  I am so grateful that she thought of me before she just tossed the sign away!  The next sign is going to be even more playful as I am going to incorporate the little green monopoly houses I couldn't resist keeping.  I have been busy writing my new updated artist statement with a lot of help from my librarians.  I wanted my artist statement to reflect my use of recycled materials as that seems to be the direction my art is taking me.  I guess I need to put this on my website when I get around to updating Divine Designs.  So much to do...so little time to do it...it seems.  Here it is for your contemplation.  Let me know if you can think of anything I am leaving out, and always...a better way to say it.



Art has been the most deliberate form of communication for me since I could pick up a crayon.  It was, and is, as natural as breathing for as long as I can remember, and I can imagine it has been the same for artists throughout time.

 My interest and use of recycled materials to make art began as a result of poverty, and continues in spite of it!  The question I always ask is “how can I make something out of nothing”, or more precisely “how can I make something out of something that no one else wants or appreciates”?
I believe our wasteful society discards objects and materials that can be transformed into art and artifacts.  My deliberate use of recycled, nontraditional materials will hopefully communicate a new purpose and value to these items that would otherwise be destined to fill our landfills. 


 

No comments: