Saturday, November 9, 2013

Weekend Plans














So close.  The slot on the brass guard has to be filed ever so carefully now, till it is flush with the blade.  I would say inch by inch.....but it is lots smaller and more "easy does it" than that.  I predict that this will all be put together in place by the end of this coming weekend.  Library is closed on Monday.  I expect to be in to blog on Sunday, and then again on Tuesday.  I am so close to being able to plan out my wood handles that I am tempted to go ahead with that.  It is hard sometimes to just be slow and methodical.  I ordered another piece of steel on eBay Thursday, in case this knife warps when I temper it.  The problem since the beginning has been not knowing the type of steel.  Some folks say "don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth".  This steel was a gift, but the problems associated with the gift is what I am getting into now.  If all goes well, this knife will heat treat and then temper without a hitch.  If something goes wrong though, I want Brian to have his blade in time for Christmas.  I should have the back up steel sometime next week.  I will then trace the blade onto the 01 steel before I quench this blade.  That way, I can replace the ruined blade with a steel that I know how to quench.  I know that is probably confusing....These things take time.  My local hardware and lumber stores do not stock the stuff I have needed for this project.  I have had to purchase online.  Online takes time.  I don't have a computer at home, so I am limited to an hour a day at the library for this sort of thing.....in addition to blogging.....in addition to answering email.  Sometimes I get to go to Facebook for a few minutes.

No comments: