Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Flying Around This Week














I made some serious progress on Brian's knife Tuesday.  It still doesn't look like much, but those four holes that match the cutlers rivets required 4 different size drill bits and 12 total drill attempts to get them sized to just a little smaller than the rivets.  The rivets will expand a little when I hammer them in.  All this has to be done before I cut the handles from the Black Walnut.  I am working without safety glasses so I cautiously drill each hole, and turn my face away.....which is just crazy!  Being partially blind though, I am not taking any chances.  The rest of the week will be heat treating, tempering the blade.  Then I have to solder on the blade guard.  Almost all the pieces are in this photo.  The Black Walnut knife scales were purchase on eBay.  The brass acorn nut which will be the pommel was purchased on eBay.  You can't buy brass nuts at the local hardware store anymore.  You can buy brass coated nuts, but that won't work for me as I am reshaping them, and taking off the hard edges.  The fun is about to begin.

No comments: