Thursday, November 7, 2013

More Than Meets The Eye

Yesterday, I posted a more recent picture of this knife in progress.  The advantage of photography is we can go back in time when we need to.  This photo is a of the pilot holes I started drilling Tuesday.  Also in the photo is the brass blade guard that wasn't cut out yet.  The brass for the blade guard is at least 14 gauge metal, and I broke at least 5 saw blades cutting it.  I am working on a low budget, with old equipment, and the supplies that go into a project like this are hidden.  You won't see the glue, or the broken saw blades, or all the sand paper.  It has been frustrating to say the least.  Every step of the way, I need something I don't have.  Most of the time it is crucial.  $21 for the acetylene, $5 for the glue, $11 for the soft solder, and lord only knows how much the drill bits, and replacement drill bits have cost me.  I was lucky that I didn't have to replace my grinder.  By the time this project is finished, I am estimating $100 in materials and supplies.  I have about 6 hours time involved so far in just profiling the blade.  Knife making is truly a labor of love.

No comments: