Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Old Sparta












I have been marveling at the old architecture in downtown Newark each time I am in the area.  The old Sparta Restaurant is an old landmark on 3rd street...walking distance from my house.  Back in the day, this was the place to get a 99 cent breakfast and on the way past the cashier it had the most magnificent candy counter.  Disappointingly, they (in all their wisdom) turned it into a bar.  When they made that grave decision was around the time that 12 bars in that area were closed down.  I was happy to see the other day, that they are reopening the Sparta.  There are old photos of the place in the 1800's with its grand woodwork and counter.  Hopefully the new owners will realize that Newark could use a 99 cent breakfast spot more than another bar.  They could even do both, and have breakfast till noon and open the bar in the afternoon!  Downtown Newark is being revitalized, and I am happy to be finally witnessing it.  I am almost hooked up to the internet...just a few minor glitches to work out, and I am a rabbit ears thriftstore find away from having a working TV.  I feel almost high tech.  When I get the bumps all worked out, I will be blogging regularly every day, and filling in the blog posts that I missed along the way, as well as catching up on my blog list.  How I miss my Monday morning Kunstler Cast blog, Archdruid Report, Sue's News, and Gifts from Gail.  An hour on the library computer passes so quickly, and I have been busy working on my metal projects rather than go to the library this month.  There has been little time for anything else.  I had a fantastic birthday month right up through this morning with a breakfast with Eve session.  As long as I can have my little coffee breaks with Eve, I won't ever need therapy!

No comments: