Friday, February 8, 2013

Penny For Your Thoughts














Recycled coins make super looking buttons.  The top three are silver, the last a discontinued dime.  The next 4 are penny's, two new ones and two I made several months ago.  It is interesting how the copper turns and patinas over time.  The last two are probably not very cost effective as it takes an hour to cut one of these out.  The first of the two is a Hopewell symbol soldered onto copper (copper on copper).  The second one is a brass Hopewell symbol soldered onto a discontinued penny.  These are done with the Hope overlay method, and I think I may try my hand at making a bolo tie out of one of them.  I left the shadows of the Roosevelt, and Lincoln on the dime and penny's, but I could just as easily remove the ghosts, or leave them with the president heads untouched.  Neither Lincoln or Roosevelt have any particular aesthetic appeal to me, but I can see doing this with an Indian head, or buffalo nickle in the future.  I may just have to teach myself to sew, so that I can have a shirt or blouse that sparkles with my own buttons for Pow Wows and Pot-latch ceremonies.

No comments: