Sunday, February 24, 2013

101 Rugby Road












I had a sense of deja vu about the boarding house in the movie Sofie's choice that I watched for the first time this weekend.  It is hard to imagine that I haven't seen that movie before, but I went for several years without a television set, so I have some catching up to do.  Because of the strong and strange feeling, of course I had to google it, and found out the movie location and the house in Brooklyn do in fact exist.  It turns out that the pink palace in the movie located at 101 Rugby Rd. is not pink at all, but red, white, and gray.  The feeling goes away when it is viewed in its true colors, and I realize that my friend Piper lives in the pink palace on Cleveland Avenue.  It really looks and feels more like the house in the movie, than this photo of the actual house!  The house that Piper lives in is a boarding house, and apparently has a history of the third floor being a "speak easy" where jazz musicians who were not allowed to stay in all white hotels stayed in the late 40's and 50's.  Pipers building has all the grand woodwork that you would expect from a rooming house that is that old.  I can't wait to tell him about the movie and see if he thinks the pink palace of Sofie's Choice is a dead ringer for his rooming house.  I am doing my best to try to keep my mind off of my upcoming court case this coming Thursday.  I have about 20 minutes to expose the evil deeds of my landlord, and to cross examine her.  I am relieved that she won't have a chance to cross examine me, as she has an attorney.  I wonder if she has thought about that?  I get to make her squirm in front of the judge, and the only way out of it at this point would be for her not to show up.  It is doubtful that this judge would grant her a 4th continuance, and the fact that she has had 3 has probably invoked his suspicion.  I can not wait to get this behind me, so that I don't ever have to think about her again.  I see that I have 4 law books on reserve at this library, so I can only guess that I will have studied the law, the rules of the court, and will be more than ready for Thursday morning.  After that, it is a whirlwind of activity for my upcoming art show.  I confess, I would rather throw all my energy towards the show, and not ever give Nesley another thought.  I realize that I need closure, and this is the only way I am going to get closure.  This will be posted on Sunday, and I hope to return by Wednesday as I will need to check my email to see if the bailiff has contacted me for yet another delay.  I am good with it either way, but I would prefer to attend my art show with all this over and done with.

No comments: