Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Self Portrait By Default













I went to a workshop the other night at Summit on 16th, the church we performed at on Winter Solstice night. There is a wonderful program in that building called FreeGeek. This is the place that disabled or obsolete computers can be donated, refurbished, and repaired, keeping them out of the landfills. Free Geek teaches volunteers about computers. If you volunteer 20 hours of your time, you get to bring home one of the computers that come in during that 20 hours of volunteer time. As I understand the program, one of the very first things a volunteer learns is to remove "destroy" a hard drive. Many of my friends have told me that they are worried about their information getting compromised when they discard their old computer. This is the solution to that fear. Even if you don't volunteer at FreeGeek, it is the best place to safely get rid of your old computer. One of these days, I am going to begin this program. I snapped a photo of the flier on the door, because I have a hard time remembering when their operating hours are. When I saw the picture, I realized I had taken my self portrait in the reflection of the window. Tuesday hours have been changed to 5pm-8pm. Hope to see you there!

No comments: