Thursday, May 5, 2011

Code Name Geronimo



"Geronimo bravely and heroically defended his homeland and his people, eventually surrendering and living out the rest of his days peacefully, if in captivity, passing away at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in 1909. To compare him to Osama Bin Laden is illogical and insulting. The name Geronimo is arguably the most recognized Native American name in the world, and this comparison only serves to perpetuate negative stereotypes about our peoples. The U.S. military leadership should have known better".

I got this from a blog called Newspaper Rock
. where Native America meets pop culture.

Because I wear six feathers around my neck I am often mistaken for a Native American these days. Even at the polling place I was mistakenly noted and asked about my heritage. I had a comment on the huichol art on my Facebook page from an actual Native American which led me to bluecorn comics and Newspaper Rock. It is worth looking at the comments on that blog.

No comments: