Saturday, May 21, 2011

Neighborhood Farm


There is something so satisfying and peaceful about living next to a micro farm. My neighbors are off selling eggs and chicken at the Clintonville Farmers Market this morning. They provide the community with alternatives to big agriculture. Their children will grow up with knowledge about how to grow their own food. Our culture has all but forgotten this lost art. My grandparents were millionaires and chose to farm the abandoned family garden. I can remember being puzzled by their behavior. They chose to drive 40 miles 3 times a week to garden on my mothers property. They freely shared the fruits of their labor. The rest of us sat around drinking beer and watching them. I totally get it now. I miss them. I wish I could take back time and work alongside of them. As luck has it, for a grand total of $5 I am renting a community garden plot. If someone would have told me 10 years ago that I would be acquiring garden tools and growing vegetables I would not have believed them!

No comments: