Sunday, May 25, 2008

Pay Pals final days





I wrote a couple reviews on eBay about the dangers of using PayPal to pay for eBay auctions. I don't use PayPal because early in my eBay career they froze my account for 180 days. It wasn't for much money, but I decided I could not trust them with any of my money after that! So I closed my PayPal account and I even blocked them from contacting me.

EBay continues to promote PayPal as the safest payment method for online purchases, when in fact it may very well be the most dangerous method of payment. eBay owns PayPal, so it may very well be that they need to promote it. Not only can they freeze your PayPal account, they can also empty your bank account. And...if that isn't enough, they want to attach themselves to your credit card in addition to your bank account.

The most recent eBay changes include that PayPal can freeze a sellers account for 120 days or until the seller receives a positive feedback for the transaction. Most folks can not go ahead and just send out merchandise while their funds are being held. Most people won't leave positive feedback while a seller holds their item for 120 days. EBay has set up a sort of check mate situation between buyer and seller, while claiming that it levels the playing field.

If you have time, please read my eBay guides about PayPal and please vote. My scores on the two anti PayPal reviews have been dramatically low. I suspect the PayPal cheerleaders after having my review removed, now need to vote against me. No guide I have written has ever seen such controversy...and so many votes against it. I resubmitted my guide 10 minutes after it was removed and encountered some sort of automated system where if someone doesn't agree with my guide supposedly they can report it and it will automatically be removed.

When TSHTF (PEAK OIL) and credit cards and bank accounts no longer work for everyone, cash and money orders will be king. eBAy won't like that. They can't control cash sales. They consider cash to be the most unsafe method of payment and it is not permissible to even mention Cash Only in an auction...even if it is Pick Up Only.

It is said:
If 50 thousand people say a foolish thing...it is still a foolish thing. And if someone says PayPal is the safest method of on line payment 50 thousand times...it is even more of a foolish thing.

I have survived on eBay as a seller without PayPal for a couple years now. I have 100% feedback score, and many repeat customers. I consider PayPal to be much like a parasite. If eBay is to survive, they need to remove it, or neutralize it before it locks eBay into financial doom. Please click on any of the icons below to access either my reviews, guides, or auctions. and please vote.

skymetalsmith ( 317Feedback score is 100 to 499) Member is ID VerifiedAbout MeTop 5000 Reviewer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good blog. FYI, Paypal is owned by eBay.


Jean.