Tuesday, September 13, 2011

President Speaks At Fort Hayes Today


President Obama is speaking today at Fort Hayes which is about 2 miles from here.  I have admired the civil war era architecture at the Fort and was very pleased when they put a High School there that specializes in the arts.  Indeed had I grown up in Columbus Ohio instead of Perryton Ohio, I would have applied to Fort Hayes High School.  Who knows how my life might have turned out?

I wish I could attend the Presidents speech today, but security is tight and I don't feel up to jumping through those hoops.  Some friends of mine will be there protesting the oil pipeline from the Tar Sand reserves in Canada.  While there would be many jobs, and much benefit for big oil, I fear that there would be much environmental damage and displacement.  This President has his hands full in that he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't as most Americans would rather run their cars at an unsustainable rate, than have clean water or air.

No comments: