Friday, September 30, 2011

Debit Cards


I recently opened a checking account as it had been since 2006 that I last had one.  Lori and I shared a checking account and I kept a log book of my transactions.  But when I left last year I no longer had access to a bank.  I had a customer that wanted feathers for her daughters birthdays and she kept mentioning writing me a check.  It wasn't much money, but any bank would have taken $5 from the amount of the check and my sterling feathers are already practically at cost.  So I beat the duck to the pond and started a checking account before the woman paid me for the two feathers.  I was happy that I didn't have to even flinch when she paid me in her preferred method.  But this morning on NPR the big financial story is how Bank of America is going to start charging $5 a month for using their debit card.  The other big banks will certainly follow.  So totally free checking will not be so free anymore.  I for one will take my money out of the bank and put it into a small local bank that wasn't bailed out by the government!  These banksters are hungry.  The government regulated them and made them stop point of sale to the merchant for the debit card.....and now that they can't bleed them they will bleed the American people!  It has bothered me that President Obama has not punished the people that are responsible for the economic collapse.  If they let them get away with this, I predict there will be massive bank runs.  And these days those are all pretty silent.  Start questioning your banks people.  Find out when this goes into effect and withdraw your money the day this goes into effect.  It is your money.  You should not have to pay anything to access it, and to use it.  They are already making enough.  They got bonuses last year, and this year.

No comments: