Sunday, October 24, 2010

Centrifuge







Blogroll Me!
I have been waiting for years to set up my centrifuge and burn out oven. It is almost in my grasp. The only thing standing in my way at this point is 35 pounds of investment powder and a tank of Acetylene. I have 3 apprentices who are eager to get started. This centrifuge is the largest centrifuge made for the dental industry. It is called The Lucas Giant #750. This will handle most jewelry projects and some small sculpture projects. The container was designed by me and made by Tom Parry and David Coleman. I used to watch David Colemans farm near Circleville. He had the round piece of metal leaning up against a door jam. I asked him if he needed it and told him what I wanted to use it for. He delivered it and put on the caster wheels and drilled the holes for the container sides. Tom parry welded the buckles that hold the sidewall in place. This was designed to slide under a workbench until it is needed. The base itself probably weighs over 80 pounds. I wanted to make sure this thing didn't walk across the floor and I didn't want the hot metal thrown out on anyone that might want to watch the spectacle. For the last 6 years it has had a piece of glass over the top of it and a lamp on it serving as an end table. It is about to come to life again. "I stand on the shoulders of giants".

No comments: