Saturday, May 15, 2010

My First Blacksmithing Teacher


Blogroll Me!
A few years ago I got the privilege to do a weekend Blacksmithing workshop with Lorelei Sims. Lorelei has written a book since then called The Backyard Blacksmith which I highly recommend.
I had a few months to prepare for my weekend with her, so I got a gym membership and lifted weights to increase my strength for 2 months prior to the workshop. I found out when I got there that it doesn't take brute strength to lift a 16 oz hammer...rather it takes stamina to lift it repeatedly.
I sent her plans as to what I wanted to work on along with cash payments as I could not afford to pay her total fee up front and I didn't have a credit card. She made it very easy for me to begin this art form that I hope to continue this summer even though I am old and arthritic. I joined Southern Ohio Forge And Anvil the other day, and I began reading Lorelei's book again. I will be able as a member to forge every 1st Saturday of the month. In her book she recommends getting a thick board (2 by 4), 10 common nails and a carpenters hammer; driving them in one after another for the days before forging. Much cheaper than a gym membership and certainly more to the point. Hopefully my pottery throwing and this activity will get me through the physical preparation I need in order to forge after all these years. I know wherever she is she will be rooting for me. Thanks Lorelei. I can't wait to get back to work!

No comments: