Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Candle Cauldron

This little bowl was thrown on a wheel at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center (see my link at the right) located downtown Columbus Ohio at the old Arsenal. The Arsenal is just one of several recreation centers throughout Columbus Ohio funded through the City of Columbus Parks and Recreation. It was bisque fired there as well, but I was prevented from finishing it there. It made it to a new destination, kiln and final glaze fire at The Martin Janis Center a closer recreational facility also operated by Columbus Parks and Recreation. It is lovingly used to house a pomegranate candle I received from a friend at Christmastime. When Herb Rayburn passed we burned this candle near a photo of Herb and his hammer. I marvel at all that had to happen for this little bowl to get finished. I had to pack up and leave one art center and find a new place to work. The bowl had to survive packing and driving, and storing on a shelf until I could find a place to finish the work. After finding the next art center, the bowl had to survive more packing, driving, and carting it into the new building. This bowl is slightly out of round. It is somewhat oval. It was abused downtown as someone Else's clay pot got smushed up against it. I was having a lot of trouble getting my pots fired and finished downtown. Parking was problematic and costly. Clay needs TLC. It needs checked often and worked on at various stages of becoming green ware. I was not able to look in on my clay often enough at the downtown center. Reluctantly, I found a new place to work that I can look in on my clay more often.
I found the new center in the nick of time and was able to donate 20 bowls the The Empty Bowls project (see link to the right), and still get some bowls done for Christmas presents.

No comments: