Saturday, April 5, 2008

Inside Out


Sometimes the inside of a bowl looks more beautiful than the outside. This is the same bowl as the one featured in my first blog Spring Fever (see blog archive dated 3/23). This glaze is called Moss something or other. Because I poured glaze in and out of this pot the application was even on the inside creating this dramatic effect, with no brush strokes. The outside of this bowl had to be painted with a brush as our studio does not have a sprayer. This is why the inside looks more finished and is different looking than the outside. Because I know that I like this glaze, I need to find out exactly what it is called so I can use it in future bowls. I will be trying to find a sprayer and small air compressor this summer that I can use in the studio as we have a spray booth with no sprayer. It would make glazing pots more efficient and speedy. If any one out there knows of a handy transportable air compressor, spray, package that I could cart back and forth to school on glazing days, I am in the market! It is the sort of thing that the school probably can't afford, and keep protected from students not trained in its proper use. My experience with sprayers are that they are temperamental and they clog up easily. But the effect of spraying verses brushing is clearly something I want to try for. My cat Syd does not care about glazes. He just wonders why the bowl is empty!

No comments: