Friday, April 4, 2008

It starts on the wheel



I am off to throw some pots today on a potters wheel. I will no doubt need a nap when I come home. It will not be Hollywood Glamorous! But...it will be glorious. Wedging clay is physically demanding. If a person wedged clay everyday, they would not need to go to the gym to lift weights. Some days I am physically challenged and can only stand or sit to glaze a pot. Some days I walk with a cane and can not even drive a car. It is a miracle on days when I am able to throw pots on the wheel. I will do it as long as I am able.
Potters will tell you that this scene from the movie Ghost is totally unrealistic. We laugh when we see this scene. Hurray for Hollywood! Throwing pots on a wheel requires a rigidity and balance that we don't see here. She makes it look too easy. It is not easy. I have heard it takes 7 years to become a good potter! I have been at it almost 5 years collective time. In reality I have been at it for almost 30 years, with many years of not throwing at all because I didn't have any place to work or to take classes. The trick is to have 7 consistent years. I know I will get there someday if I just keep at it.

No comments: