Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Kitchen Wood Shop
















Yesterday afternoon I sanded and stained the frame for EIEIO.  There is no possible way to finish it in time for the upcoming VSA exhibition and tour.  I need to take the pressure off and let the ideas stew and simmer and not try to force it.  I am so thankful to have had a grandfather that cultivated my woodworking interest.  My Grandpa Russ (Russel Bolen O'Flaherty) made me a miniature workbench right beside his.  When I stayed with my grandparents Grandma Sue (Virginia McKee O'Flaherty) made us an enormous breakfast, then grandpa and I would go to his workshop.  Those are some of my fondest memory's and occasionally I am lucky enough to be able to have a woodworking shop in addition to my Jewelry nook.  Not at this residence though....so it is my kitchen counter that holds the basics.  Knife handles, and picture frames seem to be what I make these days.  I find that the little band saw, dremel belt sander and a cordless drill fit the bill for most of my woodworking projects.  Although yesterday I had to go to my basement and locate my hand sander.  With EIEIO out of the running, I can jump over and start my next canvas that I am calling Syd's World.















I started a working sketch at the laundromat on Saturday.  This morning I started plotting out where I want everything and put on some base coats.















My commissioner wants my old guitar in the painting as well as Master Syd.

No comments: