Saturday, November 29, 2008

Historic Photos of Columbus


Blogroll Me!
I have been enjoying my copy of Historic Photos of Columbus put together by Nick Taggart, and published by Turner Publishing Company. I am tempted to post some of the photos from this coffee table book but I am going to refrain to protect the integrity of the work.

This delightful book of black and white photographs of Columbus covers history from the late 1800's to the mid 1900s. Contained in this volume we get to see horse and buggy times through the transition to the automobile.

There are places that are still familiar, and places that have been long gone. I was particularly surprised and delighted to see photographs of the early arches that have long been removed but now are being rebuilt with a modern twist of two in what is now The Short North. I have shared this book with several of my friends and family and it is providing hours of entertainment.

Nick Taggart works in The Columbus Metropolitan Library in the Biography, History and Travel section. He has written the text for this work and compiled the various photos most of which have never been published. The only thing I was disappointed in was that the book ended in the 1960's. I felt like I wanted to see more of the changes up to the 1990's when I first moved to Columbus. If you are a Columbus Fan this book is for you. If you want to see pictures of the Horseshoe Stadium at OSU under construction and The Lavec Tower being erected this is the book for you. There are pictures of Lincoln's funeral train under guard by Union Army Troops, and his casket on display at our State Capital. These are just a few wonders captured on film and brought out of the archives for this generation to ponder. Who knows maybe Mr. Taggart will make us a sequel. I know I will be sharing this book with as many people I can before the holidays as I think it would make the perfect Christmas gift for Columbusites.

No comments: