Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bridgid's Day









Witches celebrate Imbolc on February 1st or 2nd.  It is sometimes referred to as Candlemas "The Feast Of The Waxing Light".  This day is also celebrated more commonly as groundhog day.  The goddess associated with this holiday is Bridgid.  Bridgid is perhaps the only goddess that was not eradicated by the church.  She was too powerful and loved by the ancient pagans, so they sainted her instead!  "If you can't beat em, join em" we say around here.  I have honored Brigid in much of my work throughout the years.  This is a belt buckle that I cast from wax woven threads several years ago.  The symbol is called Bridgid's Cross.  This piece weighs 72 grams and is the heaviest piece of jewelry that I have ever constructed.  I made several molds at the time and could in fact make a mold from the actual piece if need be in the future.  At the time I first made this ornament I used scrap silver from other projects so it was fairly inexpensive.  I would hate to have to purchase the 72 plus grams of silver to make it today, as silver has climbed in price.

No comments: