Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Water Payment

I was able to stop payment on a water bill yesterday after signing my new lease.  I will be moved out by the time the water is scheduled to be turned off.  I had to pay a partial water bill that belonged to my landlord from 2009 in June just to keep the water turned on.  So it is with great pleasure that I will be leaving her with a sizable water bill that she will have to pay in order to even clean this apartment or flush a toilet.  That is after she hires a locksmith to get in, or breaks a window as I re-keyed all the locks.  Both Legal Aid and The Urban League were not surprised when I told them about the unpaid water bill and the water problems here.  Apparently slumlords try to use water shut offs to avoid taking their tenants to court.
I had hoped I could get out of here without going to court, but they are claiming there has been property damage, so I feel like I will need to show up in court to answer that charge.  For some reason my landlords attorney doesn't state what exactly the alleged property damage is, and says he will submit that evidence at the trial.  Maybe he will get disbarred again for some more fraud and misconduct.  I am shocked he is still practicing law as he was disbarred indefinitely for 8 counts of fraud and misconduct.  Read about Columbus Bar Association, v. Jeffrey Blankenship here.  It is not shocking that my immoral landlord would choose someone like Jeff.  She probably wouldn't be able to get any other attorney in town to go along with her tactics.  I sure hope he gets his money up front LOL!

No comments: