Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Right Tool For The Job


I am not sure what they call this tool.  It looks sort of like a double ended pizza cutter.  But my cat Syd tore out part of the screen in the window. He stretched his whole length up....dug his claws in and pulled the screen out of the spline.  When I examined the screen and tried with a butter knife to fix it, I knew what the tool I needed looked like.  I had seen this tool for years not knowing what it was for having a vague sense of de ja vou.  Or maybe Vou ja de...remembering something that hasn't happened yet.  At any rate....I thought of all the times I had seen this tool someplace....and wondered what it was for.  I found this one at the Re Store and I paid a dollar for it.  This is after spending 45 minutes trying to put the spline back into the channel with a butter knife!  Sometimes we can visualize a tool when we are failing at a task is what this experience taught me.  Talk about reinventing the wheel.  I really think we probably as humans have reinvented the wheel....maybe even several times.  I think this tool probably has a specific name.  I couldn't find a vintage one and I had no name for it.  I would have seemed like a batty old woman if I would have gone in there and asked for a double ended pizza cutter thingy to fix screens.  I just sorted through the bins until I found two.  I think it might be called a spline rolling tool.  It is sort of like the bung wrench....sometimes you just don't know what to call it....but you know what it needs to do.

No comments: