Monday, August 11, 2008

Should We Trust The Media?




















An Akron Ohio hospital recently made news by deciding not to hire smokers. It is doubtful that doctors and nurses could be more influential than the famous Marlboro Man. But heath care professionals would seem to be hypocrites if they remain addicted to tobacco when it is clearly the leading cause of death in this country. It is certainly an idea who's time has finally come! I have lost many family members to this addiction. I myself have suffered the habit for over 27 years. After watching my mother die a very painful death from lung cancer, I quit for several years. I quit over 4 times that I can count gaining 20 pounds each attempt. Many of my friends have quit but started up again in order to lose the weight they had gained! It is easy to see how both my mother and my Grandmother were sucked in by the glamorous people in the ads. The Marlboro man was very compelling in his youth. He was not so charismatic on his deathbed.
Perhaps we should not trust the media to treat us any way except consumers. And because there are laws protecting the companies that produce these poisonous products, we should not wait for our government to do the right thing. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you smoke, please quit. It is perhaps the most politically correct thing you can do while there is still time.

Blogroll Me!

No comments: