Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Water Catchment 101

We have procured 6 more rain barrels by posting an ad on Crag's List. As might be expected these are all spoken for; our friends and family want them. Catchment systems will become more important to everyone as we realize "peak oil" and it's logical conclusions. When gas prices hit all time highs more people will be trying to conserve and save all things. Food shortages are a logical outcome of high gas prices as more and more truck drivers will not be able to afford to transport food from the great distances it is coming from these days. As the infrastructure begins to break down and everything becomes scarce, even water will become a precious commodity. We believe that we need to prepare and practice conserving water. These blue barrels once held soy sauce. So we know they are food safe. In order to make our rain water drinkable more steps to filter it will be necessary. I will be writing more about that in the near future. For now we need to concentrate on using rain water to water our garden. Our gardens will be the next step to prepare for food shortages. If you have not checked out the prepare pages at the Peak Oil site, there may still be time.


Blogroll Me!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conch
I am really enjoying reading your blog. I am thinking way to much... LOL maybe not.

Suzie

yooper said...

Hello Conch! Glad to meet you! I'm 49 too and also an artist. I've been doing stained glass for over 25 years and do shows all over Michigan. Gee, the shows have been down!!! My wife and I used to do about 45 to 50 a year, now down to about 20 to 25. Do you ever do Michigan shows? btw Beautiful pottery and metal work!

Oh, you can find me as "The Black Knight" on latoc (suppose you already know this, pm me). I also post over at John's,http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/ . Thanks for your interest in my site. I'll try and answer any questions that you might have....

Thanks, yooper