Friday, May 23, 2008

Ghost Stations


I pass this abandoned gas station several times a week. I always wonder what happened to it. As we approach Peak Oil we will be seeing lots more of these I am afraid. There is lots of wasted space to reclaim when we no longer need a filling station on every corner of every block. We can stop creating the "geography of nowhere".

The underground tanks are probably still in place. I wonder if they still are intact and could store water? I can easily imagine a roadside farmers market or food co op could replace this. The roof where the pumps used to be is flat. Maybe a garden could be planted up top. I can envision a rain barrel installed on the far building that has a slight pitch to the roof. The whole field behind could be a full sun garden.



Blogroll Me!

No comments: