Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Makers Mark for sale on Ebay


On Monday April 7th my blog was titled Makers Mark(see blog archive to the right of this page). Here is a close up photo of my personal makers mark ring. It is my logo for Divine Designs and my initials two Cs. I use it to mark the bottom of my pottery. I have never liked my handwriting. I don't sign my name with a scribe on the bottom of my pots as most potters do, because it just plain looks bad. I remove my ring and mark my pot instead!
This week I ran an experimental auction on ebay to sell Makers Marks or ID rings. It is tricky because ebay has policies that prohibit circumventing ebay fees. So the wording of this auction was problematic. I am not selling an already existing ring, rather I am selling a service. I am selling a custom made "future" makers mark ring or initial ring. Art work will have to be approved ahead of time. 50% of the price will have to be paid prior to my beginning the project. Anything extra such as gemstones will have to be added to the total cost. Ebay likes to make sure they get their share, so they might frown on too much back and forth negotiating.
It is doubtful that folks will have a design that can be inverted or reversed as mine is. So an initial ring that is to be used as a makers mark will appear reversed and upside down for most people. All this is very hard to convey in the format of an ebay auction. If you get a chance to check out my auction for the makers mark, you can access my auctions through my contact page on my website Divine Designs (just click on skymetalsmith). You can access my web site Divine Designs from the bottom of this blog page. I do not know if it is possible to insert links on this laptop. I keep trying. I can't highlight...so I would need to highlight in order to put a link in here. Our computer is still at Staples getting cleaned up. I look forward to being able to blog active links! I look forward to being able to download my recent pictures.