Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Drum Workshop

We have a drum workshop this weekend with Ubaka Hill. Ubaka is a performer, composer, and teacher of hand drums. On Friday Night the workshop will be from 7-9 and men are included. On Saturday the workshop is 10-4 women only.
The Columbus Women's Chorus will do a couple numbers and Sistah Ngoma will perform as openers for Ubaka's Concert Saturday night 8-10. I look forward to drumming with Ubaka and hoping to play again with some of my men friends Friday night. We have been preparing for many weeks and it seems that we have all come a long way since the day this photo was taken Gallery Hop in The Short North June 06. I like this photo because it was a reunion of sorts for me. I hadn't played drums with Wahru Cleveland in years. I sort of just arrived (I saw an ad) and was shocked that she remembered me and allowed me to sit in on this little ensemble. It was my first paid gig as a drummer and I have been part of the Columbus drumming community since that day.
Sometimes we have exquisite days that we remember. This particular day I knew was larger than life. I can't ever remember being quite as happy as I was that day. And I feel gratitude about that day each time I see this photo. The mural we were playing in front of is now covered over by an outside dining area. But that day, that space was ours!
This weekend the drum workshop at The Broad Street Christian Church will be somewhat like a reunion. I have not played with Ubaka since 1995. I am looking forward to making some happy memories.